Tuesday, January 24, 2017

January Poem: The Car

The Car

I had been having a rough few months
Life was hard, and I wasn't making it easier
Sometimes I wondered why I did it
Was it really worth it?
I was tired, both physically and mentally
And my emotions were up to the surface
I wanted to give up, go back to bed
For the rest of my life

I wasn't thinking much, just set on my destination
Not paying attention to much other than that
My feet were pushing me forward to where I wanted to go
When suddenly, I felt something to hit my arm
I can remember a scream and I saw a white car
Where I had just been seconds before
I felt annoyed at first, but not scared or hurt

As I reached the sidewalk, someone asked me if I was okay
My vision was going black, but I nodded automatically
They gave me a hug and made a joke, which I nervously laughed at
And asked me again if I was okay
Again, I nodded automatically

The driver yelled across the street, checking up on me
Always in auto drive, my brain not working right
I said I was fine and kept walking
I looked behind me and saw the girl watching me, so I waved
To signal that everything was fine

As I continued to my destination, my brain slowly caught up with me
"I JUST GOT HIT BY A CAR" it screamed, waking me up
I made myself keep walking, because I knew I'd go hysterically if I didn't
Made my feet go forward as over and over in my head the words repeated
That I was okay, I was alive, and I only hurt a little

Later that day I realized that I needed that bump
I needed to realize that I'm here for a reason
I might not know exactly why, but I'm here for something
And I need to keep moving forward through the hard times
Everything is for a reason, and I know why I was hit now
I almost want to find that girl and tell her thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment