Sunday, July 18, 2010

Swimming Rap

This poem was written because my dorky coach was trying to rap something to do with swimming...so of course I had to show him how to do it. He didn't say anything when I gave it to him, he might have hated it and didn't want to hurt my feelings...but more likely, he was jealous of my skills.

Swimming

Swimming is a lot of fun
When you swim outside you can soak in the sun*

You work hard everyday to get a bit faster
So at all the meets you’ll show who’s the master

You start on the block, then when he says, “Take your mark!”
You jump in the water and take off like a shark

It’s a lot harder when you’re in a relay
You’ll let down your teammates if you delay


You can swim Butterfly, which is really kinda tough
You gotta get the rhythm right and be really buff

There’s also a stroke where you swim on your back
But you gotta watch for the flags, or your head’ll go whack!

You might want to do Breaststroke, where you kick and glide
Make sure you touch with both hands, or you’ll get disqualified

You can swim Freestyle, all you really need
Is very high elbows and lots of speed

If you can swim all four, then go for it
An IM might be your event if you want to commit

The distance swimmers know how to keep their pace
The sprinters know how to speed in a race

Swimming isn’t easy, but it’s your call
In my opinion, if it was easy, they’d call it Football

But some call me obsessed, which may be true
Swimming and I are stuck like glue

© 2003 Liz Stephens

*Coach wrote this part, thanks Coach!

No comments:

Post a Comment